Friday, December 30, 2011

My Dad


My Dad passed away two weeks ago. I was able to sit at his hospital bed and watch him breathe his last breath whle I held my sister and him. I as able to tell him how much he meant to me and my family, what a wonderful father he had been and how we will miss him. I will miss my father.

When I lived in New York and would visit my parents, he would set out fresh flowers in a vase, chocolate goodies, a bottle of wine, a few fresh, white towels and a card in the guest room for me when I arrived...he made me feel so special. He always made extra soup for me and my family and would drive it over to my house along with fresh rolls and a bit of chocolate wrapped up for dessert. He would fix the squeaky doors in my house and any other projects that needed work..Dad would come to the rescue. When I lved in New York for eight years, Dad would call me every week to check-in and made me feel loved and missed. He always sent me emails letting me know what a great mom I was and how he loved Alexander. He made sure that I knew how much he loved me, Dan and ALexander. He was so generous, always wanting to help and his house as always open to me. He loved babysitting ALexander and babysat him up until a few weeks before he passed away. The night that he went into the hospital
Alexander called him and talked to him on the phone and asked if he was feeling better..my Dad said yes, he was...he never let us know exactly how much much pain he was in. Often he would wince in pain as his back would act up or he had a misc. pain. He would always say he as fine and brush
it off. WHen he visited me and Dan in New Jersey, right before he was diagnosed ih multiple myeloma, we had such a great time. He let me know how much he loved the area that we lived in and the first home that we bought. We ate at a great French restaurant, he enjoyed drinking beer at a dive bar with Da, we walked around Manhattan and had a great time. I am so glad that I have those vivid memories wih him. Although I didn't love his disease, I loved that over the past six years since he retired we were able to spend so much time together and he was able to be a huge part of my life..and Alexander's life.I loved that Poppi watched Alexander a couple of days a week, because I felt that he was showing Alexander that men can be gentle, kind, sweet, garden, work in the woodshop, work with tools, paint, etc. Alexander misses him, too.
Dad, I miss you.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer and Joel said...

Kristen, what a beautiful post. Each child is so special to a parent, and I watched your dad just light up when he talked about you. It was wonderful to see how much he delighted in Alexander. When I asked him about your Dan and he said it was like having another son. It was so obvious how much he loved his family.

12:33 PM  
Anonymous Aunt Kim said...

What a wonderful set of memories he left you, such an affirmation and example. We all miss him, but no one can take the place of a dad...
Thanks for this touching tribute.
love you,
Aunt Kim

9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home